Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lactose-Free Yogurt & Protein DELIGHT

When I realized I was lactose intolerant it was pretty easy to give up dairy, since I wasn't consuming much of it to begin with.

However, there was one dairy staple in my daily diet that broke my heart to eliminate....

this guy:
thick, creamy deliciousness in a cup

I love greek yogurt. I never cared for the fruity flavors because they tasted like jelly mixed into yogurt (I will ALWAYS favor REAL, WHOLE fruit rather than cooked down, sugared up versions of "fruit"). The plain, however, oh my gosh. Plus, it is SO easy to customize plain greek yogurt into whatever you're in the mood for! At first I only added a little cinnamon..then I played with various fruit add ins like banana slices and blueberries. My staple was definitely plain yogurt with cinnamon and blueberries.

Of course, there was always the occasional Crystal-Light+Fage mix (a la Hungry Girl -- I heart you, Lisa Lillian) and spoonful of peanut butter+Fage mix (amazing). Oh, and have you ever mixed frozen blueberries into greek yogurt??? Obsessed. Cocoa roasted almonds also pair pretty dang well.

So when I first discovered my intolerance I simply took a Lactaid pill with my yogurt. Unfortunately, even that didn't work. My body cannot tolerate dairy, no matter how much help I try to give it.

Hey, don't love foods that don't love you back.

So, it's been MONTHS since I've had a yogurt of any kind...until yesterday.

While wandering the aisles of Whole Foods I stumbled upon these lil guys:

The stats were impressive...no horomones, grass fed, nothing artificial, organic, LOTS of probiotics, and lactose free. Lactose free milk still bothers me and even when I take a Lactaid pill dairy still bothers me so I was definitely hesistant to try this. However, I've read that "cleaner" dairy products are easier on the body so I figured I'd try it.

My problem with other dairy-free yogurts (like the soy and coconut milk varieties) is that they are LOADED with sugar, and fat, sometimes, too. Some of those little cups have 29 grams of sugar!! That's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's more than Halloween candy!!!!!! My other problem is that they have a measly one or two grams of protein. ehh..

This yogurt had 100 calories, 2.5 grams of fat (I couldn't find a fat-free version, but I'm on the lookout), 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of sugar (naturally occuring, not added). Sure, half the protein of greek, but way more than what my other options present me with!

So to solve the protein issue I figured I'd add a couple spoonfuls of my Strawberries 'n' Cream Myofusion. OMG it was SOOO amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only was it DELICIOUS, but my stomach actually felt OK!!!!!! (Not 100% symptom free, but so minimal that it was worth it...plus it is sooooo soo good and I really really miss yogurt). I also still took a Lactaid with it.

Why did I never think of adding protein powder to yogurt!?! (Oh yea, cuz the greek stuff was already naturally loaded with 18+ grams!!!!!!!) SO good and since I have like a hundred different jars of every protein imaginable my options are endless!

I'm not going to have it everyday, since my body just wouldn't be able to handle it, but it's a great option for a treat every now and then. :)

I'm just so happy to know there is a yogurt option out there for me for when the craving hits :) woohooo

On another happy note--I talked to Dan and this weekend we are doing it ALL!!!!!!!! Saturday shopping for fall decorations, Sat night having an intimate lil party of drinking pumpkin beer and decorating and Sunday apple picking!!!!!! I can't even explain how excited I am. The little things in life :) LOVE!







No comments:

Post a Comment