Friday, October 21, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Lattes & Frozen Grapes

Frozen grapes and macadamia nuts may just be one of my favorite snacks ever. Frozen grapes are truly nature's candy. They are SO delishh!!! I eat the macadamias frozen as well, and when they're frozen they just taste even more buttery, smooth and delectable :)

Plus, last night I caught Dan's icky lil virus :( No bueno... So after being too sick to sleep last night and suffering from a scratchy sore throat all day today, a soft, frozen snack was exactly what I needed. As for the nuts, I kind of just sucked on them like a hard candy so jagged pieces wouldn't irritate my poor swollen tonsils. Ever since I had mono when I was 16 my tonsils have become super sensitive to any virus and swell up to the size of ping pong balls, which then makes the glands on my neck super swollen. Hot, I know. Luckily, though, my healthy life style keeps my immune system in tip top shape and I typically fight off viruses in record time and can easily maintain my daily life even when sick. For example, today I hit the gym at 6am for a leg workout before work, then worked for five hours, followed by a lovely manicure and walk around my neighborhood (for some much needed fresh air and to complete some errands).

Want to know what else I enjoyed with my frozen snack? A pumpkin spice latte - homemade! I was SO proud of myself for this one, and I thought it was AMAZEEE. Dan, however, thought it tasted like doody. meh..

Anyway, don't go by our opinions, try it out and judge for yourself :) it's not hard:


Pumpkin Spice Latte for one:
  1. Mix 1 TBSP pureed pumpkin, 1/2 TSP pumpkin pie spice, pinch cinnamon, one packet of Stevia and 1/2 TSP vanilla extract in half a cup of almond milk.
  2. Mix together with a whisk or a fork and pop in microwave for 1 1/2-2 minutes in 30 second intervals (stirring each time you stop it)
  3. Mix the almond milk concoction with 1/2 cup french vanilla flavored coffee, add in some more milk if you life your latte on the light side.
  4. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon or a dollop of whipped cream and ENJOY!
I found this whole snack SO enjoyable. I notice that whenever I eat frozen grapes and macadamia nuts I actually feel guilty--like I ate something bad! THAT'S how much I enjoy them. But I do have to watch myself with portion control because it's way too easy to over do it, and when that happens you may end up having something to feel guilty about. Macadamia nuts are naturally high in fat and calories and grapes have a bit of a high glycemic load and sugar content, so exceeding a proper portion (I like to stick to 1/2-3/4 cup....if I can) may spike your blood sugar a little too quickly. This is probably ok right before or after a workout.

Have you ever had ice wine??? I found out about it in this erotic novel I read over the summer...and found out that the grapes used to make the wine are fermented when they're still frozen. Wine made from FROZEN GRAPES?! Count me in! I immediately starting googling like crazy and found a place nearby that carryied it. I bought the wine back in the summer but only tried it a few weeks ago with Dan. Woa....it was amazing but CRAZY sweet! You know those little port wine glasses? One of those is ALL YOU NEED, any more than that and it's just overwhelmingly sweet. The expensive price tag is worth it because it is orgasmic and a little really goes a long way!
Ice Wine & Prosecco; meet some of my favorite indulgences :)

Well, I'm off to relax for the rest of the night because I plan on doing a long run tomorrow morning as part of my training for the Tough Mudder race that my sister and I will be competing in this November! If I'm feeling up to it (depending on this dangggg virus) I'm going to complete a nice lil nine mile run outside around town from my gym this morning. Last week I ran a nine mile course with my friend Gianna. It was GORGEOUS out last Saturday morning--absolutely PERFECT running conditions! So, tonight I'm taking it easy and taking lots of cold meds. Also, on Fridays I now include a bit more carbs and fruits into my diet to prepare myself for an intense cardio workout the following morning. I have WAY more energy for the run and feel great during and after when I eat this way. Cross your fingers that I'm feeling up to it tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment