Saturday, September 10, 2011

Food FIT for FALL

  The other night before dinner I was feeling a little bored but had the urge to cook something. I'm still eating the same thing every day for one more week so I decided to make something for Dan. He's trying to eat as healthy as possible but sometimes it's hard because his schedule is so crazy. So I figured I would make him some healthy granola. It's good because he can add it to his cereal in the morning for lasting energy PLUS it's totally portable so he can bring it to work without worrying about refrigerating or reheating.

So to make sure it'd be healthy it had to have a balance of:
fiber
protein
carbs
healthy fats
antioxidants


Granola can be LOADED with fat and sugar...which is usually what makes it so delicious :(

So instead of oil I used egg whites, which also adds in some extra protein. For sweetness I combined a tablespoon of pure maple syrup with a tablespoon of farm fresh honey and added a little water for a less thick consistency. To make sure it was still packed with flavor I added a TON of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to the dry oats.


This granola is yummy, good for you and fuels your body without added fats or sugar! Plus it tastes like FALL. Perfect for transitioning into the new season!

Recipe:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups oats (I used quick cook)
  • 1 T pure maple syrup
  • 1 T honey
  • 2 heaping T water (more if you need)
  • 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
  • 1 heaping tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 T egg whites
  • 3/4 cup walnuts
  • 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
  • 3/4 cup freeze dried blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oats, spices, nuts and berries in one bowl and mix. In a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients, mix well. Pour wet ingredients over oat mixture and stir until well combined. Spread mixture out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet (if you like your oatmeal on the sweeter side, drizzle it with some more maple syrup now). Bake for 20 minutes, stirring it up at the 10 minute point.
before baking 
combining wet & dry



Let sit at room temperature so it becomes nice and crispy!
packed & ready to go!

Every season has it's own selection of food unique to its time of year. Fall happens to have some of the best my favorites:

Apples
Pumpkins
Butternut Squash
Sweet Potatos
Cranberries
Grapes
Walnuts
candy corn 

I can't help it!! There's absolutely nothing healthy about it and usually it's everyone's least favorite candy but for whatever reason I just LOVE candy corn. I love every single flavor and even those waxy little candy corn pumpkins! In the fall I usually always have candy corn on me...hiding in my purse or car or somewhere. A few little triangles here and there are NOT going to kill me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment